Sunday, March 04, 2007

Lentils

I fixed lentils for us this week, and they turned out well (a definite do-over!), so I wanted to post about it. Lentils are new to both of us. Neither of us remember having lentils at home growing up. I think I first heard of lentils when I was in Paris. I had leftover lentils and cornbread for lunch today, along with a sweet potato -- and it was a very yummy lunch! And we still have more leftovers for this week. Here's what I did for my lentils:

I soaked two cups of lentils in filtered water overnight. Then the next day I drained and rinsed them, and cooked them (bring to a boil, then simmer) for about an hour in turkey stock with one added bay leaf. (I think I actually used too much turkey stock; my lentils turned out more like a soup, but it's still good.) I cooked some onion and garlic in butter and then added them to the lentils towards the end; next time I may just add them to the pot and let them cook with the lentils. At the end, I added one can of diced tomatoes. And that's it! Lentils are cheap, good for you, and we really enjoyed them. I have some other lentils recipes I plan on experimenting with; if they turn out good, I'll share!

No comments: