Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sick!

Well, we have a confession to make -- but it's actually a praise and a testimony. Saturday night David came down with something, which Monday we found out was strep throat. We're figuring he caught it at school; we have heard it's going around. This is the first time any of us have been sick since beginning our journey to better health. The praise and testimony is that even though it was strep throat, and he didn't feel too great, it was a very mild case. He had a sore throat and a little fever which lasted about 48 hours. He was able to rest and took it easy for most of Sunday and Monday, and by Tuesday was almost back to normal. He drank echinacea tea, took grapefruit seed extract, had a few zinc lozenges, and put peppermint oil on his wrists and feet for his fever. He did end up taking some ibuprofen as well, but we feel like even though he caught a bug he was able to recover quickly and had a mild case because his immune system was fairly strong from trying to treat his body right. I've had another sick family member, too: Jayden vomited several times yesterday. But even through that she was able to rest and play; she hasn't vomited today and has played all day, so we're planning on her going back to school tomorrow. Here again, even though she did catch a little something, it didn't seem to be bad at all, and it didn't last long! We think that's really cool.

I'm trying to keep Joshua and me from catching either of their maladies, and so far so good. We're being careful not to share dishes and I'm trying to keep my hands washed well. I've had some extra drainage/congestion for about three weeks now, but I've felt fine. I just keep the tissues within reach. =-) I'm hoping this will go away soon. I add grapefruit seed extract to my orange juice and try to get Vitamin C and not much sugar. I need to drink more water and probably need to add some echinacea tea, too. I had a zinc lozenge yesterday.

Oh, and something not related to being sick, but about diet: I wonder how many other 18-month olds ask for more broccoli? (Supper tonight was spaghetti and broccoli.) Maybe a bunch, I don't know. But I'm proud of her, regardless.

No comments: