Monday, March 19, 2007

Recipe: Banana Ginger Jam

Banana Ginger Jam
There are two types of banana jam. One type is real jam with sugar and pectin that is put up in jars and processed in a water bath. The other type, which I have been making more and more lately is just a thick banana mush with a little seasoning. It must be kept in the refrigerator and after a couple of weeks (if you don't gobble it up) it will turn into a science experiment. I make it differently each time because I make it from the bananas which get so ripe my family won't eat them. Since I had the happy combination of over-ripe bananas just as I wanted to post the recipe, I made some this morning. I like a lot of ginger flavor so I used 3 Tbsp. You might want to try less at first. This morning I cooked it up in a pan on the stove before I put it in the crockpot. That shortens the crock pot time to about three hours. Here are the proportions:

Banana Ginger Jam

6 ripe bananas
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
pinch of allspice
pinch of cloves
1/4 cup unsalted butter (this adds a lovely silken taste)
2/3 cup citrus juice (today it was 1 lime and the rest orange juice)

Slice the bananas into a crockpot. Add the other ingredients and mix. You can use a potato masher if you like a smoother jam. Cook at least six hours and spoon into jars. Keep in the refrigerator.

Source: Mary Filmore

No comments: